Episode #77 – The Storytelling Show – Editor/Author Norm Hollyn
This episode of the Double Down Film Show is all about the art of storytelling with author/editor Norm Hollyn. Norm was the editor of Heathers and the tv series Wild Palms and a music editor on The Cotton Club and Fame among dozens of other features and tv show credits.
Norm is also an Associate Professor and Head of Editing at U.S.C.’s film school as well as author of The Film Editing Handbook and The Lean Forward Moment, his latest book on the art of visual storytelling.
- What common storytelling MISTAKES does he see over and over?
- What is a “lean forward moment” and how can you CRAFT one?
- How do you decide what info to REVEAL and when?
- What’s the difference between a filmmaker and audience LOGLINE?
- How can you build SUSPENSE visually?
…We’ll drill Norm on all these questions and more. Whether it’s framing, color, music, camera moves or editing it’s ALL about the S-T-O-R-Y, baby! This will be an informative conversation about all the many ways filmmakers can tell stories more effectively. Listen and learn every Wednesday night at 9pm E.S.T.
Filmmaking REALITY Starts here.